Session 5 – January 14, 2015
(Logged by: Ishnt)
- Mina finds an artifact while the party is exiting the mountain. It’s a small golden gear, flecked with silver. It looks like it’d be part of a bigger machine.
- The party camps out. Mina and Ajax are low on rations, so Mechano and Lucia share with Triscan and Kumari. Mina is watching over Kumari while waiting for her to wake up. Triscan “owes us a huge favor.” Triscan gives sword back to Mina. Go’Zal takes the child from Mechano and coos over him.
- Mechano talks to the box, asks what it is. The box is confused by the question. “My name is Tiny Box Tim!” He’s very grateful to Ajax for his name. Mechano asks for info about his creator, but Tim gives a vague answer about it being a long time ago. When pressed for information, Tim becomes very serious. He was created 2000 years ago by a man named Jankorra of the Chronos Civilization. “Bad things” happened to the Chronos, and now they’re gone. Tim doesn’t want to talk about it. When asked what his function is, Tim claims he’s a friend. He knows nothing about the baby, but thinks he’s cute. He knows nothing about time travel, saying that he wouldn’t have spent 2000 years in the ruins if he had.
Mechano: Well, I suppose that makes sense…
Tim: Tiny Box Tim makes sense!
- Triscan thinks the baby is strange, and asks where he came from. Mina explains he came from the orb that was illuminating the city, to everyone’s confusion. Mechano mentions that the orb was attempting to control their minds, and Mina says she felt like it was alive. Kumari, just waking up, overhears this and says the orb is alive— Goomie told her so.
- Mina hugs Kumari, relieved that her sister is all right. Kumari asks where Goomie is, and Mina hands her the bear. She then notices that Mina’s hair is pink, which Goomie also told her would be true.
- Kumari tries to explain what happened. They were trying to use her to resurrect the god, the Phoenix King, but she knew they had the wrong person, and tried to tell them as much. Regardless, after Mina’s blood was spilled on the ground, the baby appeared, so Goomie and Kumari both think it might be A’Shamasa incarnate. Mina ponders about this— Garin said that the girl with pink hair was to be sacrificed, but only blood was taken, not her life. Mina wonders if the ritual was incomplete, leading to the Phoenix King emerging as an infant.
- Kumari says that Goomie told her since she was a child that she had a sister, and she’s pleased to finally meet her. Mina takes the bear and tries to talk to it. It doesn’t talk back. Just seems to be a regular stuffed bear. Nothing weird about it. Kumari says the bear will warm up to Mina and get less shy over time.
- After we’ve set up the camp, Mina approaches Mechano. She tells him he was very brave.
Mechano: Courage and valor are my middle name!
Mina: Alfred Courage Valor Mechano? That’s an awesome name!
- Mina says she’s happy to have Mechano as a friend, and gives him a hug. Mechano is very confused— not used to hugging.
- Ajax also wants to thank Mechano. He’s at first sarcastic about the mushiness of the situation, but notes that he was impressed by her tearing the boar apart. Ajax admits that she was wrong about him, and they shake hands.
- Mina talks to Lucia and asks how she’s doing. Says she was really cool back there. She also asks about the tattoo, but Lucia doesn’t know anything about it. Lucia is preoccupied. She’s been thinking about her grandfather, and wondering if she’s been trying too hard to follow in his footsteps. Her mind has turned to thinking about the gods, and is considering seeking one out to follow, but she knows so little about them. She resolves to find out more when we get back to town.
- Mechano approaches the princess. She says that Goomie thinks Mechano is a friend, so she trusts him. Mechano is very interested in the idea that the child might be the Phoenix King. He thinks that impressing upon the baby that we’re parental figures might lead to great favors later on. Kumari wonders what we’ll do with the baby— Mechano doesn’t seem like much of a father. He talks about building a nanny-bot, but he’s the only one who seems to think that’s a good idea.
Mechano: Change of plans! We aren’t going to abandon the baby!
Mina: What?! We weren’t going to abandon him!
- Mina talks to Go’Zal. Ajax impressed her by slaughtering the boar, and she’s happy with the outcome of the adventure— she saw feats of great valor, and we recovered both the princess and the baby. She’s going to head home to her people. Mina asks if she writes letters, and Go’Zal says that she never learned how. She asks if Mina could teach her, and she says she’ll try. She’ll be staying in town for the festival at least.
- We camp. The candle keeps us in comfortable warmth and melts the falling snow, though we still need to bundle up. When we awaken the next morning it’s still dark, due to the solstice.
- The party heads back to town. Lucia takes point as trailblazer, and does fine. The journey takes the expected amount of time. Ajax scouts ahead, and also does fine. We encounter nothing. Mina takes the quartermaster position, but has bad luck. We’re low on rations to begin with, and to make matters worse, something got into them while we slept, leaving us with even less. We don’t have enough for everyone. Ajax and Mina can’t eat and get sick.
- We find our way back to the city. The festival has started, and is in full swing. Fireworks are going off, including Mechano’s. Kumari is in awe of the fireworks, saying she’s never seen any this amazing in the city before. Mechano is not modest about his work in the slightest.
- We head for the palace, and are swarmed by guards. “The princess is back!” they shout. They lead us in. “The champions have returned with the princess!” Queen Aruna is waiting for us, resplendent in regal festival garb. She runs to her daughter and hugs her. She thanks us for our efforts, and invites us not only to a feast, but also to stay in the palace. Our accommodations are extremely nice, and we get cleaned up. We’re given fancy clothing for the party.
- At the feast, we’re given seats of honor with the queen and the princess. It is utterly spectacular, with both the meal and the fireworks display being incredible. Mechano, while failing to show any grace in his eating habits, asks if we’re going to get a reward. Aruna says we’ll discuss rewards after dinner.
- Kumari says she loves the party that rescued her, and Mina says they should hang out sometime. This upsets the queen. She says Kumari mustn’t leave the city, as it’s too dangerous. Kumari grows disappointed, but Mina says they’ll visit from time to time, which cheers her up a little. Queen Aruna then asks where the baby came from, and we are unable to explain it adequately at the dinner table.
- After dinner, the queen ushers us to a private room with pastries and snacks. Mina makes a beeline for the pastries, and Ajax isn’t far behind. Aruna asks us what happened on our adventure. Mina decides to make a story out of it, putting magic into the performance. She performs extraordinarily, and all present feel as though they are truly seeing the events as they unfolded. Upon the conclusion of the story, Aruna is shocked by the revelations and says this information must not leave the room.
- Aruna is dismayed. She says that she considered A’Shamasa the one true god. She doesn’t know what to do, and this might be the last festival. If the child is truly the Phoenix King, it’s unclear what will happen next. The Phoenix King died so that the sun might rise again, but if he was reborn as a child, that might be impossible. The Phoenix King is supposed to literally be the sun.
- Talk turns to rewards. We are each awarded 300 coins for our valor. Mina asks the queen how Eriskay might have its neutrality upheld. Aruna wants people, land, food, weapons. Mina can’t provide those, and wonders instead how the war might be ended without battle. Aruna says the only way is if her brothers give up the war and swear loyalty to her.
- Aruna asks who Mina truly serves. Mina says she serves her friends, and wants Eriskay to be safe because of that. Getting an idea, she tells the queen that if Eriskay is neutral, it’ll be easier for us to move about freely, and we could attempt to make peace with the other factions. Aruna asks if we would be willing to become emissaries of her kingdom, so that we could work toward ascertaining a peace treaty. However, we would be beholden to the queen. She tells us that we can think on it, and that it’s not something we need to decide on immediately.
- Mina writes letters back home to Eriskay. She tries to phrase talk of her adventures in a way that doesn’t sound like she was in mortal peril. She also sends a letter to her father about Princess Kumari. During the night, Mina starts teaching the basics of writing to Go’Zal. She writes a basic alphabet list, things like how to write the names of the party, etc.
- The next day, Go’Zal is heading off. She apologizes for the way she treated Ajax, and says that in the future she will teach the truth of what really happened between their ancestors to her people. She tells Lucia that she taught her what it truly is to be a warrior, and thanks her for leading as an example. “Mechano, you are an interesting individual. Despite the fact that you shot me with a laser beam, I want to consider you a friend.” She thanks Mina for telling her the truth, and teaching her how to spell. She’ll tell not only the true story of Ajax’s ancestor, but also the tale of our adventure to her people in the lands to the north. With that, she departs.
- Triscan thanks us for rescuing him from that horrible place. His offer for a favor still stands. He has an office in the university, and invites us to find him any time.
- The city is in full swing, lit up and festive in spite of the lack of sunlight. We go find an alchemist to get our stuff appraised. His name is Bjarni. Bjarni’s Bazaar has advertisements all around town. The small print says “Advertised by Cornelius Incorporated.” Mechano is reminded that he needs to go see Cornelius. Bjarni, a laid-back-looking dwarf, sits behind the counter. Dreaded beard and hair— messy, yet beautiful. He’s carrying a huge stick, as big as him, almost looks like a club. It’s actually a pipe that he’s smoking, filling the building with “exotic” smoke.
- Mina asks for appraisal of the necklace she’s carrying. He says it’s worth 25 coins, but Mina asks if there might be anything magical about it. He says he can do it, but it will cost 100 coins. If his inspection reveals it’s non-magical, it will only cost 25 coins. Mina haggles him down to 80 coins, 15 if non-magical. Mina agrees to these terms and hands him the necklace. Bjarni heads to the back, chanting in dwarven.
- We look around the bazaar. It’s filled with potions, herbs and poultices, books, rugs, clothing, trinkets, toys. Lots and lots of varied stuff. Practically everything is here. Mina buys a healing potion while she waits. When Bjarni returns, he says the necklace isn’t magical, but it’s a priest’s holy symbol. It has power only for those who worship A’Shamasa. We all sell our necklaces. Mina takes out her golden gear, ready to sell it, but Mechano takes it and looks it over. He decides the only thing that’s valuable about it is the material it’s made of, so Mina trades it for another potion. We also buy rations, bandages, adventuring gear, and antitoxin.
- Mechano heads for his lab, while the rest of us look for a blacksmith. At his lab, Mechano finds a letter from Cornelius. It’s a contract for joining forces. Mechano is still suspicious of Cornelius, so he’s not sure what to do. He then heads off to buy parts for a new mechanical suit. It’s clumsy— he hasn’t perfected the balancing mechanism yet. He also replaces the pyromatic explosion flasks he traded to Ignasius.
- At the blacksmith, Lucia repairs her shield and boots. Mina finds an absolutely beautiful dueling rapier. It has a shimmering emerald sheen to the blade, and the handle is carved from a tree branch, polished to perfection. There’s a silver pommel with leaves wrapping about it. The cross guard is made of very strong steel, with a vine pattern giving an elaborate fabric look. It’s of elven make, and Mina loves it. She buys it immediately. Ajax and Lucia look for interesting stuff, but find nothing they want to buy.